Join us in creating the inaugural Project 1 exhibition. Learn new skills, meet interesting people and experience exciting art from around the world as a Project 1 volunteer.
Sew With Us
Artist Amanda Browder will transform spaces across Grand Rapids into multi-colored textile sculptures this fall. And she needs your help. She’s calling on our community — you and me — to help her collect fabric and sew these immense striped tapestries that she’ll wrap around multiple buildings and structures throughout our city.
Work alongside Amanda at Sewing Days events this spring and summer. No sewing experience required and people of all ages and abilities are invited to join.
As a Sewing Days volunteer, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Organize fabric by color
- Place fabric on the tables for pinning
- Pin the fabric
- Sew the pinned sections together
- Maintain the sewing machines and be there if someone needs help
- Organize the fabric as it’s sewn
We’re collecting colorful, non-stretchy fabrics in opaque materials such as cotton, rayon and velvet, as well as threads of all kinds to support the creation of Amanda’s work.
Send us your fabric remnants and bolts, or stop by Monday-Friday, 9am – 4 pm.
ArtPrize Grand Rapids
41 Sheldon Blvd SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
More donation locations will be open soon.
Project 1 Circle
Join a dedicated group of volunteers to become a trained tour guide and gain access to a variety of awesome perks along the way.
- Be part of an art enthusiast group and meet dedicated volunteers like yourself.
- Gain access to special events as well as exclusive volunteer opportunities and perks.
- Learn about all things Project 1.
- Give your gift of time by helping facilitate tours for schools and visitors during Project 1.
Have questions? Reach out to Katherine Hagman, Volunteer and Visitor Engagement Manager at email@example.com.
- Passion for arts & culture
- Excitement around learning and engagement in the arts
- Friendly and positive demeanor
- Pass a background check
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Attendance and engagement at all required events listed below, including one general orientation session.
- Commitment to picking up at least 3 shifts as a Volunteer Guide during Project 1, leading tours for K-12 school groups and the public. Shifts will be available Monday – Friday 8:30am – 3pm & Saturdays 11-7 between the dates of September 7 and October 5.
- Access to special events and experiences as well as exclusive volunteer opportunities and perks.
- More to come!
An Inside look at Project 1 by ArtPrize
Monday, July 15 from 6-8pm
Join ArtPrize staff for an inside look at Project 1: Crossed Lines exhibition.
Looking at Art
Monday, August 5 from 6-8pm
Explore Visual Thinking Strategies (VTS) and several other techniques / tools you can utilize while facilitating conversations about a work of art. Learn how to implement these strategies when engaging the public and schools in conversations about contemporary art during Project 1.
Project 1 by ArtPrize General Volunteer Orientation
Wednesday, August 21 from 10-11am and 6-7pm
Saturday, August 24 from 12-1pm
Join the ArtPrize team for an overview of Project 1 artists, sites, events, and the ins and outs of the volunteer program.
Public Art in Grand Rapids
Monday, August 26 from 6-8pm
Join the ArtPrize team for a tour highlighting public art in Grand Rapids. We’ll also take a sneak peek at Project 1 sites during installation!
Touring Project 1 by ArtPrize
Wednesday, September 4 from 6-8pm
Take a tour with ArtPrize staff of Project 1 installations downtown and practice facilitating tours and conversations about the work.
Youth and Group Volunteering
Want to volunteer with friends or family members? Wonderful! The more the merrier.
We would be more than happy to organize a custom group volunteer experience for your office, church, community organization, student group, or a few of your closest friends and family members. Contact Katherine Hagman, Volunteer and Visitor Engagement Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Interested in building a Project 1 by ArtPrize volunteer experience with your youth group or school? Contact Becca Guyette, Director of Education at email@example.com for more information.
More Opportunities to Come!
Stay tuned, we’ll be adding more ways to get involved as a Project 1 volunteer in the coming weeks.
Anyone can volunteer for Project 1! All you have to do is apply online and sign up for shifts here. Volunteers under the age of 18 should be accompanied by an adult.
Stay tuned — digital volunteer training resources will be available soon.
Already signed up for a Sewing Day? Amanda and our team will walk you through the steps when you arrive for your shift.